Sunday, December 12, 2010

What im growing now in my indoor garden...


In the first stages of my blog I will be growing....you guessed it by the pictures...lemons and carrots!
Lemon trees grow to be big trees (as seen in the picture below) and I live in a bachelor apt. in the city, (namely Toronto, Canada) so having 30 foot trees in my apt. is not an option, and planting them out side is out of the question aswell, due to the freezing temps. However I will be able to keep the trees at a consistent height of 3.5 - 4 feet and they will be the perfect size for an ornamental and fruit bearing tree in my apt. and I'll fill you in on how I will do that in a later post. Later on I will have to get some stronger grow lights for the trees because once they grow to be 3-4 feet tall the 125w CFL lights will have little effect on them. As for the fruit, it takes between 5-10 years for the tree to be mature enough to produce fruit.....unless....you graft the tree early on...which I will be doing and ofcourse documenting. By grafting the young lemon tree you speed up the process of fruit production by alot. Instead of 5-10 years the wait is reduced to 2-3 years, and I will explain all about grafting in another post.

Now moving on to the carrots...carrots are root vegetables like potatoes and onions, they take about 60-80 days from germination to be ready to harvest, although there are some strains that take up to 100 days. Carrots have lots of good vitamins and some protein aswell and are good for your eyes. My carrots are now 12 days from germination and I have taken photos of them through out the 12 days to show you their growth. I will be uploading the photos in the coming posts. Carrots like temperatures of around 18*C but I'm sure they will do just fine in my apt. which is a consistant temp. of 20-22*C. I like to eat my carrots raw as a healthy snack. I eat them the same way bugs bunny eats them, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment